How we communicate continues to evolve in the connected world in which we live. Last year, we introduced Digital Communications and Best of Show categories with enhanced subcategories to recognize cutting-edge techniques being used throughout the industry.
Work can be entered into more than one category and will be reviewed separately for each category entered. All entries entered into multiple categories will be eligible for recognition in each and will be judged accordingly. In categories that receive a large number of entries, the entries will be grouped according to service area size (small, medium, and large) prior to being judged.
Below is a complete list of the categories used for the 2020 awards program.
Communication and Marketing Tools (Publications, graphic design, writing, photography, etc.)
Communications marketing tools are the tactical tools you use to implement the idea – getting information out to get the job done. They include publications, graphic design, photography, events, writing and internal communications.
- Annual Report
- Graphic Design – Online (infographic, web graphic, logo, etc.)
- Graphic Design – Print (brochure, poster, marketing materials, etc.)
- Internal Communications
- Marketing and Promotional (items, branding/logo, marketing event, delivery tools)
- Media Event (Press Conferences, PR Campaign Kickoffs, etc.)
- Newsletter or Magazine (online or printed)
- Special or Community Event – One-Time
- Special or Community Event – Recurring
- Writing (news article, news series, blog, marketing content, etc.)
Communications programs or tools used to implement the idea, make an impact and maximize reach through digital communications. This category includes podcasts, live streaming, social media, video, websites and apps.
- Live Streaming/Live Stories
- Social Media Best Use Overall
- Social Media Campaign
- Video Production – Event Coverage
- Video Production – Public Service Announcement/Promotional/Marketing Video – Short Form (2 min. or less)
- Video Production – Public Service Announcement/Promotional/Marketing Video – Long Form (anything over 2 min.)
- Video Production – Series
Communications and Marketing Process
Processes are broad categories of strategic communications programs and activities, such as Community Visioning or Branding, Resident Participation, Communications Plans, Campaign Plans, Go Green Programs, Crisis Communications and Service Delivery.
- Communications or Marketing Plans/Campaigns - Consultant-Supported
- Communications or Marketing Plans/Campaigns – In-House
- Community Relations/Participation
- Crisis Communications Response
- Multicultural Outreach/Campaign
- Preparedness/Public Safety Education Campaign
This category includes two unique awards—Most Innovate Communications and Dollar Stretcher. CAPIO encourages agencies to submit their most innovative programs. Entries submitted to the Most Innovative field can include consultant-supported projects and programs.
For the Dollar Stretcher field, projects and/or tools that had a major impact using only in-house resources on a limited budget should be submitted.
- Dollar Stretcher – program/tool developed and implemented in-house
- Most Innovative Communications
For the first time in CAPIO history, judges will be selecting from the entire entry pool, one “Best-in- Show” winner from each of the small, medium and large service areas. A separate entry is not required to be considered for a “Best-in-Show” honor. Winners will be pulled from all subcategories.